Clothespin Apron

Friday, May 4, 2012

*edit* Here is a great summer sewing project! I've been using this apron since last year and I LOVE IT! It makes hanging clothes on the line that much easier!

I love using my clothesline! It is frugal, it gets me outside and it is almost calming in it's own methodical way! For years I've carried my pins around in a plastic container or bucket, it's kind of a pain. We have a stationary clothesline that is 4 lines across. So I have to move my bucket with me every time I move down the line and it is a given that I drop about 10 clothespins every time! I've been wanting to make one of these aprons for a while and finally got around to it last week! Here's how I did it!

What you'll need:
  • 2 Fat Quarters (1/4 of a yard of fabric each)
  • about 1/2 yard of contrasting fabric
  • scissors
  • sewing machine
  • pins
  • thread
Fold the fat quarter in half width wise and press.


Cutting from the fold out, cut a curve along the bottom edge.


Use the first curve as a template for the second. You should have 2 identical pieces.



Out of one of the pieces cut out a hand sized piece for the pocket. Be sure to cut along the edge, not the fold!


Using the contrasting fabric, cut 2 inch strips, fold in half and press. This will be the edge for the pockets. Pin the strips with the raw edges together around the edges of the pockets, and trim.




Sew with a scant 5/8 in. seam, then press the edge outwards. Turn the edge under and pin.


Sewing close to the seam, top stitch the edging.


Do the same with the other pocket. Then lay your pocket piece on top of the other piece.  It should look like this:


Complete the edge for the outside in the same manner as the pockets.


This is what it looks like with the edge complete.


For the waist tie strap, measure a 4 inch strip out of the contrasting fabric. You will need a piece about  2 yards long, so you may need to piece strips together. I made mine pretty long  so I could wrap it around and make a pretty bow in the front.


Mark the center of the waistband and match it up with the center of the apron. Make another mark about 2 inches outside the width of the apron.


Keeping the centers matched up, unfold the waistband and pin one of the rough edges to the apron. Sew along the edge of the waistband and apron securing them together. Press the waistband up. On the wrong side fold under the raw edge of the waistband and pin. Top stitch all the way around the waistband, securing it and hiding the raw edge on the wrong side.


 Put your apron on, put some clothespins in it and run outside to hang laundry on the clothesline (try not to skip along the way!)

2 comments:

  1. Hanging out the washing today with the pegs in a bucket, I decided that I really needed a peg apron. This was a really speedy solution, great clear instructions. Many thanks:)

    ReplyDelete