Homemade Chicken Stock

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Making your own chicken stock is probably the one of the easiest things you'll ever do in the kitchen! Let me show you how I do it!

I start with a whole chicken. Drizzle the chicken with oil, or butter and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder or onion powder. Roast in the oven at 375F for about 3 hours, until the skin is golden. We usually have the roast chicken for dinner, then I wait until it cools and with my hands pull all the meat off the bones.
What you have left is meat, the carcass and lunch for your hubby for the next day!


Take the bones, fat, skin and bits of meat that are left and put them in the biggest pot you own! Fill it to the top with water.


Now add your seasonings. These are the basics that I use:
Garlic, bay leaf, and onion (if you're feeling extra lazy you can used minced dehydrated onions!)
Other things you can add to your stock for flavour:
  • chopped celery
  • chopped carrot
  • parsley
  • basil
  • 1/2 c vinegar



I fill my pot right to the top, and bring it to a boil. Then leave it to simmer for a few hours, let it cool then strain it.  It's that easy! I usually take a good portion of the stock and freeze it in a large plastic jug. Then you can use it for:
  • soups
  • flavorful broth for cooking rice
  • cooking potatoes
  • sauces

It's really that easy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment