I'm not big on TV, I watch a few shows but even those I don't commit to. I am a movie buff, and so are my kids. I don't think I have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times I get asked to put a movie on. Movies in our house used to be a daily occurrence, and with that my kids behavior took a downward spiral. So we strive to be as TV free as possible.
I came across a great article in the latest Family Fun magazine (www.familyfun.com), and with that some awesome websites I'd like to share for TV free resources.
First here are some facts:
Top 10 Reasons to Become TV-FREE
1. People who watch 3 hours of TV per day are twice as likely to be obese than people who watch less than 1 hour per day.
2. Average US parent spends only 38 min/week in meaningful conversation with children vs. 31½ hours/week watching TV.
3. TV viewing in children at ages one and three is associated with ADHD symptoms at age seven.
4. Viewing TV violence is the single strongest predictor of aggression later in life, according to long-term study.
5. Children witness 16,000 TV murders by age 18.
6. Viewers watch an average 40,000 commercials per year
7. Commercials aimed at kids influence in an estimated $30 billion/year in sales via the “Nag Factor”
8. Students who watched an hour of TV per day or less scored the best on achievement tests
9. TV is addictive.
10. The average American watches 4 hours 35 minutes of TV per day. There is simply so much else to do in life.
Staggering isn't it!
Here are some neat sites for TV free activities for your kids, so you can save those movies for special occasions!